Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day #41 Photos

Cleo left for Iasi today to see a neurosurgeon. By the time we arrived at the hospital, the doctor from Iasi had already called the head nurse on the floor and told her that Cleo now qualifies for a new type of shunt made in Germany. We are not sure what benefits, if any, it might have, but hopefully it could help the pressure in her head a bit. Her parents will have to sign their permission for the surgery, so we will see what happens.

Ana Maria and Nico have not returned from Iasi yet either. They told us they were only going for a day, but somehow we knew better. Nicoletta's dad called the hospital this morning to ask how soon he could come to get his daughter. We are not sure how their home situation is, but we are excited that Nicoletta has this chance! We have very few or our Tutova babies with us in the hospital right now, but that has given us a chance to get to know some others as well. This morning one of the Ionuts sat on my lap and I read him all the books we had (in English). He is a CPS kid, and definitely needs some extra love. Apparently it was a pretty funny scene, as he is 10-12 years old, and quite tall!

The other Ionut, we found out, was a Tutova baby! He left about five years ago, and has been in three foster families since. No wonder he is so gentle with our babies, and that he knew where my pictures were taken! He was quite happy to see Mihaela! I spent a good part of the morning in the playroom with some moms and kids. Eventually I brought the toy piano in, and the kids had a great time playing around with it, and the moms thought the songs on it were hilarious. They were very welcoming, and really wanted to talk to me; I wish I spoke more Romanian! They take great care of their special needs children. The kids are adorable of course. I had nine year old Gheorgi, eight year old Ionut, older Ionut, five year old Petre, five year old Stefan, three year old Andrei, and a teenage girl.

Unfortunately we have to put the toys away whenever we go, but the kids were very understanding, and I promised I would bring it back after lunch. This morning a new 1.5 year old baby girl with hydrocephalus arrived with her mother. They are in the urgent care room on the floor, but the nurse took us to see the baby. She is beautiful, and reminds me of one of my babies from China. We gave the mom a few diapers, a bannana and yogurt for the baby, and a soft doll for the baby, and she was very happy. Later in the afternoon she hung out in the room across the hall where I was playing with some kids and talking to a few moms.

In that room I had Petre and Stefan again, as well as a boy about 12 who was alone, and a teenage boy who was alone. We played with the piano once again. The kids also love posing for pictures (with their parents' permission), though unfortunately I can't post those here. The teenage boy, and Stefan's mom both spoke some English, so we had fun. The two older boys were writing me notes, and told me I was pretty, then asked if I liked them haha. I told them I was too old! They asked some other funny questions too, and one of the boys kept patting me on the head. They were being goofy, and little Stefan is just too cute for words, so the afternoon went quickly. The moms asked me if I'd be back tomorrow, and I said tomorrow and Friday, so they got excited! I am thinking of having a little party in the playroom in the afternoon on Friday, as I have balloons with me!

After having lunch brought from the hotel (sandwiches and pizza) the past two days, we decided today to go out to the Italian restaurant! It was a nice change, and a great break in the middle of the day. Not to mention they have a great bathroom (the squattie potties in the hospital are not our favorite). Tomorrow we have been invited to eat the hospital lunch, which is supposedly very good. We will see!

Bud, from GV, arrived today to meet with all the possible new volunteer sites, and see possible hotels over the next two days. It is a little funny not knowing what I will be doing next week, but I am excited about the possiblities!


Paula

Cristi

Raul

Baby picture of Raul that hangs in his room

Raul

4 comments:

Tata said...

I'm glad to see Raul smiling (almost!), and to see Cristi with his awesome new piano!! I can almost hear himclicking away while banging away on the keys...

Love,

Daddy

Mommy said...

Hi Caroline,
Your post is so upbeat today. I am so glad things are going well, that you are finding yourselves welcome and useful at the new site, and so proud that you are being flexible and positive about serving where yu are needed!
Love you, and can't wait to see you in 10 days...hopefully by then you will know where we are staying!

Jenny said...

Thanks for all of these updates, Caroline - especially about the Barlad children's hospital and the special needs center. I volunteered in 2002 and 2003 - you've got me wondering if one of your older Ionut's is one of my Tutova "babies"? Keep up the great work, I'm anxious to hear how this transition goes. Hopefully, GV can get a permanent program in place soon!

Caroline said...

If you would like, I can send you a picture of the Ionut from Tutova!