Saturday, March 5, 2011

We are here!

We left Boston on a crowded, over-sold, flight to Amsterdam Thursday evening. No upgrades were possible since it was sold out, and even though we had checked in early and selected other flights, we still ended up in the middle-middle seats, ugh! I watched two movies on that plane, then watched the ever frustrating progress map (which occasionally added time to our journey). In Amsterdam we were exhausted and over heated, but eventually found a Starbucks with comfortable seats, so we waited there for our flight. The next flight was also totally sold out (never had that before on a flight going into Bucharest), and we were some of the only English speakers. We had a nice Romanian woman sitting in the window seat next to us, and I was actually able to understand some of what she was saying! That flight was also the bumpiest flight I've ever been on going into Bucharest, so it felt much longer than it actually was! Eventually we made it, and our bags made it, though of course my personal bag was the last possible bag off (we are traveling with three bags this time, one for each of us, and one with donations).

We were exhausted from traveling, and I hadn't slept the whole trip. We were staying at the Hilton in Bucharest Friday night, and had planned to take the reliable "FLY Taxi" from the airport, yet when we got out, none were to be found. We went back inside for a minute, then decided to just use one of the guys at the curb (not the ones in the parking lot at least!). He way over-charged us, but we knew he would, we just wanted to get to the hotel. When we arrived we found out that my dad had been chosen as "The Guest of The Day" and we were upgraded to a junior suite, got access to the executive lounge, got a free drink at the cafe, and some other lovely perks! We had good room service for dinner while we watched Monsters versus Aliens on Romanian HBO haha. We stayed up later than I thought we would have made it, and went to bed around 8:30 PM. We didn't get up until 9 AM, and I actually slept pretty well surprisingly! Then we had food from the executive lounge for breakfast, and now I am relaxing while my dad walks over to the giant Parliament building for some quick sightseeing. We will be taking a hotel shuttle in a little while back to the airport to meet up with Dan (team leader) and Robin (team member who you may have seen on my blog back in March of 2008), where we will then take a van up to Tutova! We have two other teammates, but they are getting in later, so they will take a separate van.

Next time I write it will be from Tutova (hopefully the internet there is working), and tomorrow I will see my babies!!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Buna, I am so excited that you are in Romania. I had hoped to get there this month but work is keeping me too busy. I can't wait to hear all your updates. Hug all the babies for me.

Natalie said...

hahaha great picture....sounds like a brutal journey, but i'm glad you got there and sounds like you got a good place to stay!