Sunday, March 22, 2009

Days 21 and 22

The last two days have been long, and full of activity. Yesterday I drove ten hours roundtrip to Bucharest to drop David off at the airport and pick up the new team. It was great to meet all the new people, but I was getting very antsy on that bus by the time we got to Tutova. We had the usual stop at McDonalds, then straight through to the hotel. I ended up with a single for these three weeks because almost everyone else had paid for a single. There actually weren't even enough singles in the hotel for everyone, so two of us have double rooms as singles.

Today was orientation day, again. We started off the morning with breakfast, then introductions. After introductions we went over to the clinic for a couple hours to play with the kids. This was kind of wild, because we had a lot of new volunteers, and they didn't know where the kids were supposed to go, so we ended up with all the kids in the big playroom for most of the day. It was really wild in there, so for some of the time I went in the preschool room with Alexandra, Maiastra, and Ema. And then I went into the isolation room to play with Marius and Maria for a while. Then we had lunch, and did all the other orientation things. Now we have a little free time before dinner and room assignments for the clinic. As expected after being alone with the kids a lot the last couple weeks, I am feeling a bit protective, but I am really happy to have lots of extra hands at the clinic this week. I am already starting to dread leaving them in a few weeks....

No comments: